Welcome to the Teach Chiapas video series! Check out our latest video, “Galeano Vive! Painting a Zapatista Teacher.“
With public school students and teachers in mind, Schools for Chiapas is producing a series of lively and accessible videos for free classroom use. Each video offers a quick and appealing introduction to one aspect of the Zapatista movement of Chiapas, Mexico.
These free, online videos are all under 15 minutes long, and include lesson plans, study guides, and and bilingual transcripts to help structure classroom discussions and activities. All videos are available in both English and Spanish language versions.
Current titles include:
Galeano Lives! Painting a Zapatista Teacher (English)
Galeano Vive! Pintando a un Maestro Zapatista (Spanish)
Who are the Zapatistas? (English)
¿Quiénes son los Zapatistas? (Spanish)
Who are the Zapatistas (Greek)
An Introduction to Zapatista Education (English)
Una Introducción a la Educación Zapatista (Spanish)
Women in the Zapatista Movement (English)
Mujeres en el Movimiento Zapatista (Spanish)
In less than 15 minutes of classroom time, your students will learn:
- respect for an indigenous’ peoples’ worldview.
- how the Zapatistas are working to make things better.
- detailed and accurate information about the Mayan peoples of Chiapas, Mexico.
- available online. Downloads are FREE and easy.
- both Spanish and English language versions of the videos are available.
- archival footage recorded by Mayan Zapatista filmmakers themselves.
Free educational materials that accompany each video:
- Scripts: Complete texts of Spanish and English scripts for reading along with the videos.
- Lesson planning: Activities and suggestions for classroom discussions
- Timeline: Interactive history of the Zapatista movement here.
- Maps: “Putting Chiapas on the Map” available here.
- Photo gallery: Teachable moments from throughout each video is available as PowerPoint presentations.
- Stories: Bilingual readings to accompany the videos such as. Marcos: The Other Stories Ramona: Rebel Dreamweaver
Write us at email@example.com with any comments or suggestions!
Thank you for watching and sharing these unique videos with your students and colleagues!