Welcome to Schools for Chiapas, now offering free student-centered lesson plans and educational videos based in common sense and common core standards of global justice and human dignity. Join us in teaching about the Mayan peoples of Chiapas, Mexico, where community control and student’s needs always trump corporate power.
Here are easy ways to connect, learn, and take action with us here at the 2014 NEA conference:
1. Watch our latest video: An Introduction to Zapatista Education:
2. Check out teacher resources: Explore our lesson plans and library
3. Visit us at our booth and enter the drawing!
• July 2 – 3 at the commercial exhibit area of the conference
• July 4 – 6 at the nonprofit fundraising area
We’ll be there every day 9AM-5PM (Except July 4th, when we’ll be there from 1PM-5PM)
4. Join us at the Museo de las Americas on Thursday, July 3!
Join Peter Brown at Denver’s beautiful downtown museum of Latin American art and culture to share an inspirational and educational evening featuring photography and facts about the Zapatista education system in Chiapas, Mexico. Light refreshments; donations welcome. 6PM – 8PM, Museo de las Américas, 861 Santa Fe Drive, Denver, CO 80204
5. Learn about Galeano, Zapatista Teacher who was killed defending a community school in La Realidad, Chiapas– read more here.
6. Take action: donate to the Reality Fund! Donate now here, or learn more about how you can be a part of supporting this historic rebuilding of a Zapatista school.
7. Connect with us on Social Media:
Like us on Facebook: Schools For Chiapas
Follow us on Twitter: @ChiapasSchools