Levels: 6-8, 9-12
Subject: Social science, education and learning.
An Examination of the Zapatista Education System
This lesson is based on the Schools for Chiapas video “Zapatista Education”, and aims to examine and familiarize learners with a background to the Zapatista system of education, their approach to and way of organizing education, and the significance of their schools in the lives of their communities.
- Video: “Zapatista Education“
- Lesson plan: “Ourselves and Others: How We Learn”
- Article: “Autonomous Education in the Zapatista Communities: Schools to Cure Ignorance”
- Article: “Educate in Resistance: The Autonomous Zapatista Schools”
- Article: “Why Autonomous Education?”
- Photo gallery: Mayan Schools of Dignity