In celebration of 2014 Indigenous Peoples’ Day, Schools for Chiapas is proud to announce the release of our new classroom video : “Who are the Zapatistas?”
(For Spanish, click here/Para Español, haz click aquí)
“Who are the Zapatistas?” is a short, upbeat video in both English and Spanish for students and educators offering a clear and concise introduction to the contemporary Zapatista movement in Chiapas, Mexico. It is part of the classroom video series entitled “Teach Chiapas”.
In just 8 minutes of classroom time, your students will learn:
- what the Zapatista “uprising” in 1994 was.
- how the Zapatistas are building a better world.
- why the Zapatistas are constructing “autonomy” (and what that word means).
- available online for easy and free classroom viewing.
- Spanish and English language versions of the video are available.
- archival footage recorded by Zapatista filmmakers.
Free educational materials that accompany “Who are the Zapatistas?”:
- Scripts: Complete texts of Spanish and English scripts for reading along with the video. Download Spanish script. Download English script.
- Lesson planning: Activities and suggestions for classroom discussions ~ Click here for English. Click for Spanish.
- Timeline: Interactive history of the Zapatista movement here.
- Maps: “Putting Chiapas on the Map” available here.
- Slideshow: Our new PowerPoint and Keynote presentations are designed to accompany the video and provide support material for teachers. It gives further background information about the Zapatistas using images based on key concepts from the video, . Click here to access.
- Stories: Bilingual readings to accompany the video. Marcos: The Other Stories Ramona: Rebel Dreamweaver
Click here for English version Click here for Spanish version
Additional Teach Chiapas Videos